Your patients put their trust, and identities, in your hands. Shredding patient paperwork that is no longer needed for their files is a crucial part of keeping your patient’s safe. Part of HIPPA requires medical records be destroyed thoroughly, following standard methods and procedures.
One of the most common ways privacy breaches occur is when records are left unsupervised.Leaving records in door holders where other patients walk by unsupervised, for example on their way to the bathroom or exit, leaves your healthcare facility vulnerable to a breach of privacy.One snatch of a file leaves a patient’s medical and private information in the hands of someone with less than good intentions and your facility is at fault.
Paper Shredding Protocol
- Having a shred all policy in place for your business is vital and Shred Alaska can help set it up for you. Human error accounts for 30% of data breaches in the business sector.
- Automate your business paper shredding process to protect your business, customers and employees. Every business has sensitive information. Period. Client information. Vendor information. Employee information and more.
- Don’t overlook hard drive destruction. There are many reasons a hard drive would need to be destroyed.Most commonly, a company or individual will update its computer system and want to permanently erase all the data off the old hard drives once the information has been copied to the new system.
- Set up a Commercial Paper Shredding System for your Alaska Business.
- Medical records
- Patient record extracts
- Any data collated under a duty of confidentiality
- Staff records
- Financial Records
- Performance data
- Job applications or candidate records or interview notes
- Payroll records
- Patient identifiable information
- Secure forms, letterheads, or record books
Do you have a training program in place to ensure records are being regarded in the correct manners? A consistent, clear training program will ensure new employees understand your healthcare facility’s procedure for record shredding and existing employees get the refresher they may need after falling into a state of complacency.
Importance of Procedures
There are some procedures that may be overkill- which pens to buy or how often to check the toner- but some procedures, those that effect your patient’s personal information, are mission critical. Ensure your shredding procedures are treated as such. Your employees need to understand that their handling of patient medical records is an important part of the business and that you place your trust in them, as do your patients.Following proper paper shredding protocol is not only important for day to day business but it is important for your healthcare facility’s reputation. Law requires a record breach be announced and any question of security with your facility may cause a patient to seek treatment elsewhere.
Contact us today to see how we can help you follow proper paper shredding protocol.
Shred Alaska provides on-site shredding services, walk-in retail shredding, one-time file purge services and fully monitored hard drive destruction. Shred Alaska is here to partner with you to ensure your Data Storage Records Disposal is where it needs to be!Get In Touch